Monday, April 2, 2007

CrossPollinNation

Andi Sutton

In CrossPollinNation, I will conduct two city walks, from 6 - 10 miles, one in Boston and one in Chicago, both reflecting the race and class changes of the city neighborhoods that the routes pass through. I will carry 2 suitcases filled with heirloom squash seeds and planting materials (squash are notorious for their cross-pollinating tendencies.) When someone on the street offers to help me carry the suitcases, I will plant a squash seed for her/him to cultivate. The suitcases will lighten as more people offer to help. Both walks end when I reach a cultivation site where people I encounter along the way will be able to plant and tend to their seeds together for the rest of the growing season.

Boston dates: Sunday, May 20th, starting at 11AM in Harvard Sq., Cambridge and ending whenever I reach the end of the bus route in Dudley Square, Roxbury.

Chicago dates: ca. June 21-25

URL: http://www.bittermelon.org
(The National Bitter Melon Council)

No comments: